1. interrupt action or speech briefly.
1. a temporary stop in action or speech.
When’s the last time you truly sat with yourself and took a deep breath in?
When you allowed your natural body clock to awaken you without the aid of an alarm.
When you rolled out of bed and took time for your morning skincare routine, to prepare breakfast, and drink your favorite cup of tea.
Living in the unprecedented times of COVID-19, I’ve gotten the chance to sit with myself and embrace my season of stillness.
For a while I was frustrated because I felt stuck creatively. I saw other bloggers and content creators I admired that “took advantage” of working from home and seized the moment of producing consistent content for their audience. I felt like I wasn’t doing enough to consistently engage with those who follow and read my blog. Writers block is real and I didn’t want to force myself to create for the sake of having ample time and opportunity to do so.
So, I PAUSED.
I shared my frustrations with my cousin who is my writing partner and kindred spirit. She shared that she too, hadn’t felt inspired to create during these times and reassured me that the inspiration will slap me in the face when it’s time lol.
It’s important to PAUSE and REFLECT often especially during a season of stillness.
Here are my 5 Reasons Why You Should Take A Break!
In order to successfully PAUSE you must Take A Break:
- Take A Break: It can be hard to slow down during this rat race called life because we’re constantly chasing our dreams and crushing goals. Yet it’s important to remember that the pursuit of our dreams is a marathon, not a sprint, therefore we should pace ourselves instead of charging ahead with full force. Take the time to slow down, unwind, and relax. Put down the weight of the world and tend to self. By doing this, you’ll feel more relaxed, refreshed, and recharged and ready to tackle your dreams at a later date!
- #HOTMTip: Check out my post on Self-Care
In order to successfully REFLECT you must Evaluate, Recalculate, and Learn from your mistakes:
- Evaluate: Sometimes in our busyness we forget to step aside and see what’s working and what’s not. Back in college I remember doing this with my co-workers after every orientation and event held for our program. We would have a meeting where we discussed What Worked vs. What Didn’t Work and it allowed us to take a break to reflect and hone in on our success or failures. We asked the hard questions, offered advice on ways to make things better, and created a plan for the next event.
- #HOTMTip: Ask yourself these questions:
- What areas can I improve on?
- Am I on track with my goals/milestones?
- Recalculate: Do you ever feel like your brain has 764648 tabs open and you try to read all tabs at once? Well, often times in life we get so excited about accomplishing a goal that we move too quickly. Launching an idea prematurely can hinder your success. Take your time and flesh out your idea. Do your research, consult with likeminded individuals who you trust, and then go back to the drawing board.
- #HOTMTip: Ask yourself these questions:
- Is this goal/milestone serving me in this season?
- Do I have sufficient resources to progress to the next step?
- Should I speed up or take a step back?
- Learn: Making mistakes are a part of life. It’s how you react to making those mistakes that make all the difference. We should view our failures not as reasons for disappointment but as valuable learning opportunities.
- #HOTMInspo: “If you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You are doing things you have never done before, and more importantly, you are doing something.” – Neil Gaiman
In order to successfully CREATE you must be ready to move forward, remember your why, and Find Direction:
- Finding Direction: This is the most important element in pausing and reflecting. Remind yourself why you started in the first place. Reignite the spark of enthusiasm, motivation, and zeal you once had during its inception. Move forward with a positive mindset and don’t forget to take time to pause and reflect more often. Your mind, body, and spirit will thank you.
Now that I’ve given myself time to PAUSE & REFLECT – I’m ready to CREATE more gems for you in this season.